The vineyards in the city
The last vineyards of Paris are located in Montmartre, on the north “butte” (hill) of the city. At the corner of rue des Saules and rue de Saint Vincent, the Clos Montmartre with its Rockwall gardens and rows of vines descend down the hill. The history of Montmartre vineyard probably dates back to the Gallo-Roman era, although the first official documents dated to 944 (“Annales du Chanoine Flodoard”). The production of wine grew considerably until the end of the XVIII century, thanks also to the abbesses of the Abbey of Montmartre, who rented the land only on the condition that grapes were grown in order to receive an income from the press.
In the mid-nineteenth century some construction projects threatened the area as long as in 1933 the wine tradition was recovered by a group of friends who re-planted Gamay Beaujolais, Pinot Noir, Seibel, Couderc, Seyve, Villard blancs et noirs and other varieties of different origins (Riesling, Muscat, Perle de Csaba, etc.). From that moment on, every year the first Saturday of October, the day in which the harvest announcement is held, this is the occasion for great celebrations. The wine is sold at auction and the proceeds donated to charity.